Ben has worked in Delphi Automotive, Freescale, Infineon, Honeywell, ON Semi and other internationally renowned semiconductor companies. He has successively held the position of system engineer, Senior Application Engineer (auto MCU), senior product manager, and director of automotive strategic market business development. He is mainly responsible for the fields of autonomous driving and new energy vehicles. He led the team to lead the definition and development of the first engine specific system integrated chip (U chip) in China. In 2014, he took the lead in introducing it into UAES, with a cumulative market sales of more than 10 million.
In 2020, he joined CVA and was responsible for the establishment of the automobile MCU team and served as the general manager of the business division, fully responsible for the operation and management of MCU BU business.
Opportunities and challenges – Chinese automotive semiconductor suppliers
1. Revolution of automotive industry from semiconductor perspective
- Rapid growth of Electric and Intelligent vehicles
- Innovation in automotive E/E architecture driving semiconductor demand
- Thriving innovation from Chinese car manufacturers
2. Opportunities for Chinese automotive semiconductor suppliers
- Continued growth of automotive electronics and semiconductor demand
- A window of opportunity for import substitution, under strong independent and controllable demand
- Car manufacturers more deeply involved in semiconductor definition, reshaping tier1 and supply chain structure
- Favourable industrial policy and capital market valuation
3. Challenges for Chinese automotive semiconductor suppliers
- Chip design requires deep understanding of vehicle E/E architecture and safety requirements, with a lack of senior chip design engineers across industry.
- Long test and certification cycles for new automotive semiconductor suppliers, with significant cash flow pressure
- Supply chain risks with foundry, probing and packaging process
- Lack of common automotive semiconductor product standards, testing and certification systems
- Valuation challenges for certain market participants that fail to deliver IC product and sales.
Shenzhen CVA Innovation Co Ltd
CVA Innovation is a fabless semiconductor company designing sensors and edge computing chips for mobile phone, IoT and automotive markets. CVA’s domain expertise includes human-machine interface (HMI), mixed signal design, and complex SOC (System-On-Chip). Current product portfolio includes proximity sensor, capacitive touch sensor, pressure sensor, smart scaler chips, and auto MCU.
The company was founded in 2018, with head quarter in Shenzhen and R&D centers in Shanghai and Beijing, and was certified as a National High Tech Company in 2020. Core team members of the company are all from renowned companies, with full capacity in IC design, software, firmware, algorithm, and system design areas. The team has well proven track record, designed dozens of chips with sales volume over one billion units. We are also very proud of our innovation capability, proven by world class innovation recognitions such as CES design award, Edison Award and MWC awards.